Friday, August 5, 2011

Water De-Abundance

An article that was written by a classmate of mine, Kaylin J on her blog: Lone Star Austin Coalition, which I think is an important issue to the state of Texas as a whole due to the recent drought and extreme heat conditions state wide can be found here: Water De-Abundance

My comment about her article can be found at the link above or pasted below:

I agree with everything you posted. I think the local government as you stated truly needs to work on fining people who aren't following water conservation matters and others who are using bad practices. As I was jogging yesterday I passed one house who was watering their lawn in the heat of the day. Another lawn had a busted sprinkler head so instead of lightly spraying the lawn it was gushing water all over the place, clearly wasting it. If somebody could step in and fine them I'd sure that would be incentive enough to move their watering time towards the evening or morning when it would be much more affective for the lawn and repair any broken sprinkler heads.

I am also glad that the government is monitoring people that are deemed to be at high risk for danger due to the heat. This is a good step, but I think ourselves as a community should pride ourselves on occasionally checking up on our elderly neighbors and such to make sure they're doing ok. Also I think the state could step in when it comes to football. Two a day football practices out in this heat are no joke, and some football coaches definitely don't know when to call it quits or when to give the players a break. More education on this matter for coaches and the community would result in less heat related deaths of these players.

I think it's cool how you said you're taking up the city's offer to get new low-flow toilets. I think that's a great idea and if enough people do it, it would definitely help to conserve water. I know a principle that my parents practice in their house during times like this is kind of gross to some, but "if it's yellow let it mellow". That also helps to conserve water in a sense.

Perry's official praying for water hasn't been answered yet, so until then we do definitely need to make more of a conscious effort to conserve our water. Every little bit helps, even if it means your car may not be shiny for a few more weeks, it is important for the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment