Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Big House for $16

I was reading this article written by Robbie Cooper that was written on July 17th. His intended audience I believe are the many homeowners across the state of Texas. It is from his blog on UrbanGrounds. The article I'm referring to is: Man pays $16 and stakes claim to $300,000 home under little-known Texas Adverse Possession law

I think what the man did is genius in a sense. If he acted within the bounds of the law to do what he did then I give a lot of credit to him for knowing the laws and acting on them in order for his benefit. However, I agree with Robbie that this is a law that needs to change, and overall what this man did is wrong. I think adverse possession in this sense is in a way like stealing. Not only stealing for his own gain, but stealing away value from neighbors and the neighborhood. Since he was able to pay simply $16 to live in the house he may not be able to keep up in the neighborhood that is described as well manicured and well kept. If he is unable to afford to put money into his house or property to keep things nice and updated like the other neighbors do this could drive down the property value of surrounding houses which is unfair to the homeowners that he isn't willing to put the same type of passion and financial investments into his property as the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment